While both of these WordPress plugins work, I think a lot of people are missing the point.
The most important thing is your offer.
It’s not OptinSkin or Welcome Gate. It’s not a lightbox pop-up. It’s not a 30-second delayed pop-up. It’s not a sidebar opt-in box.
The late Gary Halbert, probably the world’s best copywriter said:
“Know this: Strong copy will not overcome a weak offer but..In Many Cases, A Strong Offer Will Succeed In Spite Of Weak Copy Written By Marketing Morons!”
Now, this applies when you’re trying to make a sale just as much as when you’re trying to get someone’s email address.
If your offer sucks (and most do), you’ll struggle to get a significant opt-in rate, regardless of what software you use.
Wondering what the hell I’m talking about?
Here’s an example of an offer:
- You give me $X dollars and I’ll give you X product or service.
To see it in action, the following bullet points are an offer an development:
- Give me $37 and I’ll show you how to train your dog.
- Give me $37 and I’ll show you how to train your dog to do party tricks.
- Give me $37 and I’ll show you how to train your dog to do party tricks, in less than one week. You’ll also get the Magic Dog Training DVD, plus 3 tickets to the upcoming Dog Training conference. Oh, and it’s all covered by my 100% 60-day, money-back guarantee.
See what I mean?
The idea is to take your offer that currently sucks and make it whiz-bang fantastic.
When you apply this to opt-ins, you’ll start to understand.
How could you sweeten your offer?
Could you offer a free report? Could you give people free training videos? How about free access to one of your products?
- Review your offer and sweeten the hell out of it.
- Read the rest of Gary’s newsletter here – you can thank me later